Mayor’s Crime Victims Office LISTEN LIVE SATURDAY 2PM PACIFIC, 4PM CENTRAL, 5PM EASTERN
|Andy has been on the top shows, including CNN, CBS’s 48 Hours, Court TV, America’s Most Wanted, The Oprah Winfrey Show, The John Walsh Show, The Nancy Grace Show, the A&E Network, ABC’s 20/20 Prime Time, The Today Show, Good Morning America, 60 Minutes, but the real thrill of his media resume is that NOW he can add TRUE CRIMES with Burl Barer and Don Woldman to his list. Listen LIVE Saturday November 1st|
A graduate of the University of Houston with a degree in criminal justice, Mr. Kahan was a probation officer before joining the then-new Mayor’s Crime Victims Office in 1992. Ever since, he has been fighting to advance the cause of victims’ rights. He currently directs the one-man office, acting as its ombudsman assisting crime victims.
His responsibilities include working closely with local crime victim’s rights organizations to facilitate the pooling of resources and exchanging information. In addition, his office monitors parole and crime statistics, represents victims before Parole Board meetings, and puts crime victims in touch with local support and advocacy groups.
Mr. Kahan has had great success working with the State Legislature and helping enact policy changes, including:
- Making it a capital offense for murder of a child age six or under.
- Reduction in the number of parolees released in Harris County.
- Abolishment of mandatory release of convicted felons.
- Promoting gun safety by making adults criminally responsible for failure to properly store firearms.
- Mandating the Parole Board meet with either the victims or their family members before a vote takes place.
- Initiated policy changes with the Texas Department of Public Safety to include deported sex offenders on the their public database.
- He began a national campaign to stop eBay from selling “murderabilia” —personal mementos from violent crimes—on the Internet. As a result of his efforts, several states, including Texas, passed legislation prohibiting “Notoriety for Profit” by criminals.
And those are only a portion of the policy and law changes spearheaded by Mr. Kahan, which have had an enormous impact on the safety of citizens in the greater Houston area as well as nationwide.
Andy has brought national recognition to the work of the Mayor’s Crime Victims Office with appearances on CNN, CBS’s 48 Hours, Court TV, America’s Most Wanted, The Oprah Winfrey Show, The John Walsh Show, The Nancy Grace Show, the A&E Network, ABC’s 20/20 Prime Time, The Today Show, Good Morning America, Fox News, and 60 Minutes.
His many awards include the 2006 Ronald Wilson Reagan Public Policy Award from the U.S. Department of Justice, This Saturday, he is LIVE on TRUE CRIMES with Burl Barer and Don Woldman.